Pages


Sunday, November 14, 2010

Beach day and persimmon cookies :)

Last Sunday we took our dog Cooper to the beach. We try and take him every weekend when we can and this time it was a bit chilly, but fun nevertheless. Heres a picture of Cooper on the beach:
He loves the beach, he runs and plays with the other dogs and gets sandy, which usually means hes getting a bath after we get back :(
That day for as long as I walked there were little clams that were out of the sand and trying to catch some food I suppose. There were thousands of them.



During the fall, persimmons are in season and when I was little my grandmother made persimmon cookies. Well, being a great baker ;), I decided to try and make my grandmother's cookies. The only bad part was that I couldnt remember seeing persimmons at our local grocery store, but luckily a patient at work has a persimmon tree and he brought me a bag full! I will share this recipe with everyone since they are amazingly good!


 Persimmons
 Cut up in food processor
 Blending into a smooth pulp
 Finished batter
YUMMY!



Here is the recipe:

1 cup persimmon pulp (puree about 2-3 persimmons in a food processor)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or shortening (I used butter)
1 egg
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp each of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon ( I didnt have cloves so I left it out)
2 cups of nuts ( I used pecans)
1 cup raisins (no raisins for me, I used craisins)

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter, sugar and egg together until fluffy. Add persimmon pulp.
Add cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon to mixture.
Mix dry ingredients together in a seperate bowl and then slowly add to persimmon batter.
Add raisins and nuts to the batter.
Using a teaspoon, drop the batter onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.

*Watch the cookies because I didnt have to bake mine for 15 minutes.
**These cookies are a little puffy, so dont worry that you messed something up :)
ENJOY!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment